Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Would you confess to witchcraft?

In Salem, Massachusetts during the Salem witch trials, if you were accused of being a witch you were usually brought to trial and could either confess or deny the charge. If you confess to the charges, whether you were a witch or not, you could face either life in prison or banishment. If you deny the charge, again whether you are a witch or not, you would be assumed to be using witchcraft and either hanged or burned. In Salem, if you were thought to be a witch you had no chance of proving your not. Now, I am faced with an issue. If I were accused of using witchcraft it would be a hard decision to either confess or deny the charge. If I confess I will live, but I will most likely be locked up for the rest of my life. If I deny it, I can try to prove I am not a witch but, it would be next to impossible to try and convince otherwise. I would probably choose to deny the charge. By doing that, I may have a chance to save myself and convince the court that I am not in fact a witch. Even if that didn’t work I would rather die than spend the rest of my life in captivity. I see it as going down in a blaze of glory as opposed to the cowardly confession. Life would not be worth living is I were kept in captivity. To have the town mock and ridicule me as I sit back in my cage and take it until I finally give out, is not worth surviving that long for. For that those reasons I would choose to deny the charge. Some may think I am crazy for practically giving my life away, but I think it is a better option to just deny the charges.  

No comments:

Post a Comment